Being stuck in a car that is locked out can be very stressful, especially when it’s late at night. It is also hard to know what to do when this happens.
When you are locked out of your car, the first thing you want to do is get back into it as soon as possible. You might think that calling a locksmith will take too much time and cost too much money.
Today’s vehicles are equipped with advanced security features such as electronic locks, which makes it necessary for anyone who needs auto locksmithing services to work with a professional like King Locksmiths. Our locksmith technicians have the equipment and experience that you need to get the job done right.
No matter what kind of auto locksmithing service you need, we have the solution to any problem. We can make a spare key for your car or truck, rekey a lock or install a new one entirely. If you want us to keep an eye on your vehicles and provide you with instant solutions when there’s trouble, we can do that too.
Furthermore, we’ve put together a list of questions that we often get from our customers.
Auto Locksmithing Services FAQs
What does an automotive locksmith do?
A: If you are wondering what exactly is auto locksmithing, it is the act of repairing or making duplicates of ignition keys and related items. The professionals know how to do all this because they have the necessary tools and knowledge.
Is locksmithing easy to learn?
What we do is not as easy as you may think. Before someone can join our team and be a locksmith, they need to attend formal training at a vocational school where they will learn about high-security key systems.
How does an auto locksmith work?
There are several steps that an auto locksmith goes through before they make you a working key.
- First, the tech needs to determine if there is anything wrong with your ignition switch. To do this, he will have to check it for power using a voltmeter or test light. Then he will check the wiring to see if all of the circuits are intact. If not, then he will need to trace the problem back to its source.
- If there is no power or if it has been cut, then the locksmith technician will have to diagnose the problem by tracing the ignition switch’s circuitry and checking for breaks in the wiring. They may also check your car’s fuse box by looking at the fuses. If they’re broken, the locksmith will need to replace them before he can test your ignition switch and see if it’s working properly.
- Once that is done, he will access your vehicle’s onboard computer and reprogram a new key for you. He will have to check your system menu to see which type of coding your vehicle’s computer uses, and program the key accordingly.
Programming your new key is a relatively straightforward process. This means that it can be done at home without any technical expertise needed, as long as you have the right equipment. There are electronic tools available on the market today that make programming a snap whether you forget your key in your office or at home.
Auto locksmithing is a highly specialized niche, but King Locksmiths has done all the research so you don’t have to. All you need to do is contact us and we will show you how easy it is with our immediate response time and affordable rates.
How do automotive locksmiths unlock car doors?
Locksmiths unlock car doors using different techniques depending on the type of lock they are dealing with.
- Cylinder locks: These are one of the most common types of locks found in cars, and can be opened by bump keys or lock picks. The good news is that you do not need to replace them if it breaks, you just have to change the cylinder.
- Transponder keys: These are the type of keys used in newer vehicles, and opening them requires a device called an electronic code grabber or laser cut key. You can get rid of your transponder key by having it programmed, but if this fails you will need to replace it.
- High-security keys: These are generally used in luxury cars, and require special tools to open. You will need to have your high-security key duplicated with the help of a locksmith if you want to get rid of it.
The best way to prevent car lockouts is by replacing bump keys with regular ignition switches. Locksmiths can do this for a very reasonable price, and it will also prevent thieves from bumping your ignition switch. These types of keys have become very popular with car thieves as they are easy to use and highly effective.
What are some of the common types of car problems that an automotive locksmith can fix?
There are several types of auto locksmithing problems that our technicians can take care of without any difficulty.
- If your key has broken off in the ignition switch
We will extract it for you. If there is no power or if there is a break in the circuit between your dashboard and your ignition switch, we will be able to diagnose it and replace the necessary components.
- If your vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft system that has gone haywire
We will be able to reprogram your key so you can drive safely again. Our technicians are very familiar with most car anti-theft systems, so you can rest assured they will be able to fix the problem.
- If you have lost your car keys or misplaced them somewhere nearby
Don’t worry; we can unlock your car door using lock picks if necessary. We will be happy to make you a new key, but only after our locksmith technicians have tried opening it first (and only if required).
The bottom line is that automotive locksmiths must know their stuff before they begin servicing cars. This means gaining a working knowledge of all types of car locks and having an awareness of the onboard computer system used by most modern vehicles today.
How to know which auto locksmith near me to call?
You should only trust your auto locksmithing needs to a professional company that has been around for years. If you want to be experienced, trustworthy technicians who have the expertise and training needed for your service, King Locksmiths is the company for you.
We have been repairing and installing locks, keys, and ignition systems for over 20 years. Our staff is highly trained, courteous, and professional. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide our customers with outstanding results every time. If you need someone who can take care of your automotive locksmith needs, don’t hesitate to give us a call. You will be glad you did!
If you’re looking for a professional auto locksmith company, then look no further than King Locksmiths. We provide high-quality service at affordable rates. Our trained technicians can take care of all of your automotive locksmithing needs, and we work fast! And we will be there within minutes to help you out!
If you’re still curious about something, feel free to give us a call or use our contact form here on our website and we’ll be more than happy to answer your questions.